History of the Shwedagon Pagoda
According to legend, the Shwedagon pagoda is extra than 2,500 years old courting returned to the lifetime of the Buddha, making it the oldest pagoda in Burma. Historical evidence suggests the pagoda was constructed via the Mon across the 6th century. Since then the Pagoda has been enlarged and renovated in many instances, and numerous smaller stupas and other structures have been delivered.
The hair relic of the Buddha
According to legend, Burmese brothers met the Buddha no longer long after he had reached enlightenment. The Buddha gave the brothers 8 of his hairs and advised them to enshrine the hair relics on Singuttara Hill, wherein relics of the three preceding Buddhas had already been enshrined. The brothers back to Burma and gave the Buddha’s hair relics to the King. The spot wherein the relics of previous Buddhas were enshrined was located. At that spot, a relic chamber changed into constructed and a Pagoda became constructed over it.
The gold plated principal stupa with the diamond studded hti
The primary stupa is the temple’s maximum remarkable structure. It is visible at its hilltop place from a great deal of Yangon metropolis. The stupa is surrounded through 64 small stupas.
The 99 meters high most important stupa is completely included with gold plating and enshrines the sacred Buddha relics. Its core is strong and not open to the general public.
A seven-spired hti, a decoration fashioned as an umbrella with golden bells connected to it is placed at the top of the pagoda. The hti is embellished with hundreds of diamonds and other valuable stones.
If you stand in the right spot of the pagoda platform, you’ll see the reflection of the rays of the solar from the big diamond on top of the gold plated hti in diverse hues like pink, red and orange.
The world’s largest bell
Dhammazedi, King of the Pegu Kingdom for the duration of the quiet of the 15th century had a considerable bell cast within the year 1484. The bell, that is believed the largest bell ever solid weighing nearly 300 lots changed into mounted in the Shwedagon Pagoda.
In 1608 a Portuguese named Philip de Brito e Nicote who ruled Syriam (modern-day Thanlyin) as a Portuguese colony stole the Great Bell as he desired to melt it down to supply cannons. The raft sporting the bell however sunk within the Yangon river. The bell continues to be at the bottom of the river nowadays.